Stress is a part of life. At manageable levels, stress can be beneficial; however, when it is not addressed or left to fester for a long time, it can cause you to get sick or, if you already have a pre-existing condition, it can get worse.
This is something we know well as a provider of adult day services.
At our adult medical daycare in Dundalk, Maryland, we regularly see how stress affects the older adults we serve. However, as they tend to disregard their stress, partly because to the untrained eye, the symptoms that point to stress can appear like a normal part of aging and, partly because they think so, too. As a result, they also tend to show it in a less obvious way. This makes it difficult for the people around them to know when to offer them a helping hand.
That is why as a trusted adult daycare in Baltimore, Maryland, we at Caring Hands Adult Medical Daycare have listed down some of the most common signs of stress among the elderly.
By knowing these, you can take steps to alleviate the effects that stress cause on your loved ones. Among these signs include:
- Changes in eating habits, either overeating or appetite loss
- Irritability, mood swings, depression, and/or general sadness
- Exhibiting ‘senior moments’ or moments where they show increased forgetfulness of names or things that would usually come naturally
- Physical signs of stress such as unexplained pains or body aches
- Changes in sleeping patterns
- Deliberate isolation from others and from the activities they used to enjoy