For people with dementia, psychological and behavioral changes are more likely to occur. This is because the sickness continues to wreak havoc on their brains and these behaviors are their way of communication.
Lack of words and reasoning may have left them unable to express themselves through their actions. Resistance-type actions might be triggered by feelings of uncertainty, confusion, or even panic.
According to the National Institute on Aging, here are some ideas for dealing with behavioral challenges:
- Keep things simple by doing one thing at a time.
- Ensure that the person knows what to expect each day by having a routine.
- Reaffirm their safety and your eagerness to help.
- Try not to show your anger. Take 10 deep breaths if you’re in a bad mood.
- When possible, use humor to interact with them.
While some of these tactics may not be applicable to all dementia patients, patience and perseverance and as well as adult day services may enhance the quality of life of both the patient.
Are you looking for adult daycare in Baltimore, Maryland? Look no further because Caring Hands Adult Medical Daycare can help you.
With another branch of adult medical daycare in Dundalk, Maryland, we work with your loved ones to determine the facilities that have the best amenities and facilities for their specific needs.
Leave a Reply